Romania – September 5 to 17, 2018
An all-new one-off tour. Think of wild forests and amazingly scenic routes in the rugged Carpathian Mountains. Think of Transylvania (it’s bloody good). Think of an amazing country which can be a bit rough around the edges yet completely modern at the same time. Think of being part of this trip.
September 5 to 17, 2018
An all-new 11 day Peak Rider adventure based on our September 2016 reconnaissance. (Images from that trip can be found on our Facebook page.) Just as we did, you’ll discover a truly fascinating and remarkably scenic land marked by three distinct historical epochs: old Romania, the post-war communist years and the contemporary European Union era.
We’ll sink our teeth into the legendary region of Transylvania, bordered on the south and east by the Carpathian Mountains. The old military, tourist and forest roads which bisect these wild and towering ranges are seemingly designed for biking and sightseeing. Legendary Transfăgărășan Highway? Of course! But without these nutters hooning around the bends.
Among the wonderful jumble of classic baroque architecture, ‘Dracula’ castles and communist-era absurdities you’ll find city squares teeming with music and and the burble of lively conversation. Hotels are modern, clean and accommodating, regional food is scrumptious and there’s a warm welcome at every turn.
On our way to and from Romania we’ll be passing through parts of Hungary and Slovakia, countries with their own distinctive charms.
- Secure motorcycle shipping – Manchester UK to Vienna, Austria and return (see notes below)
- 12 night’s accommodation in comfortable middle class hotels
- 12 breakfasts and seven evening meals
- Sat-nav waypoints and detailed tour information
- Peak Rider tour leader
Tour Prices (not including motorcycle rental)
- One person, one motorcycle, single room – £2179 (GBP)
- Two persons, two motorcycles, shared room – £1789 (GBP) per person
- Two persons, one motorcycle, shared room – £1439 (GBP) per person
- £150 (GBP) deposit – per person (non-refundable)
- Balance due one month prior to departure
For UK riders wishing to ride to & from Vienna (i.e. not using the shipping service), or those travelling from North America, we will waive the shipping portion of the overall cost. It is recommended that those who choose to ride to and from Vienna allow for at least one full rest day both before and after the tour dates.
If desired, or required, we can add extra nights for you at the origin hotel in Vienna before 5 September and after 16 September and adjust the invoice accordingly.
- Motorcycle Hire (available from Vienna – please call)
- Additional or ‘green card’ insurance for countries not included in your bike cover
- Ferry passage; motorway vignettes; road, bridge & tunnel tolls
- Museum admissions and items of a personal nature
- Taxis, bus travel, parking
- All drinks, meals and items not included in the list above
At times this tour will demand a reasonably high level of riding skill and, as always, it’s important to be ‘match fit’, i.e. in good shape, both physically and mentally. With a mid-tour rest day we will be riding for 10 of the 11 days. The daily average is 175 miles, giving us time to stop and photograph some of the more unique things we’ll see.
Road and weather conditions can vary considerably. You will encounter challenging bends, steep gradients, potentially slippery surfaces and large swings in ambient temperature. As always, we highly recommend the many benefits to be found in a recognised course of advanced on-road rider training.
If you’ve been on a Peak Rider tour in the past few years you already know to expect rewarding riding, unique discoveries and endless laughs. If you haven’t had the opportunity to enjoy one of our trips you’ll find them to be quite special experiences. You can see some of the evidence by reviewing past tours on our Facebook page. We’re also happy to provide references.
Are you in? To secure your reservation or receive additional information get in touch with Mike today: firstname.lastname@example.org